PHOTOS: Khonkho or Bust. 06/19/06-06/20/06

When the Patrol started smoking inside, we decided we’d better get out of it and call a mechanic.

Might as well take pictures of stuff. Here’s a little pastry shop.

Those things on the upper left are empanadas, filled with some sort of cheese. The rest are cakes and canola-like pastries, and what looks to me like a Christmas log on the lower left (Eric!).

Apparently, this place has fast food too.

Our compact mechanic man. He would fold up his entire body into the front seat to look at the wires and stuff there.


That says something like, “With Goni and Hermando, the coup is coming.” Goni and Hermando could be politicians or neighborhood kids, I don’t really know.

A street cleaner, using some kind of sticks or straw as a broom.

No car for us… L

But at least we have our guitar, and trays of huevos (eggs)…90 of them in that plastic bag there.

Next day we get a ride to Khonkho with the nice guys, two brothers, who own the tienda down the street. I take pictures of the store as we wait in the van for everybody.




The different colored Coke bottles (to answer a question posted on the blog), are part of a Copa Mundiale promotion. Each color represents a different country, and there’s some contest involved in it.

Huevos.

That’s campo queso: cheese, from the campo (country). And a lot of it.


…and we’re off!

Up and out of the valley.





One of many passenger buses that can take you all around Bolivia and Latin America fer cheap, I think. Haven’t gone on one yet.








One of the weirdest billboards I think I’ve ever seen, for Derby cigarettes (smoked often at the campo). Says: “Intensely you.”

In the background there is Laja, the original capital of Bolivia until the Spaniards decided it was too damn cold up here.

Little iglesia (church) up there, nestled sweetly in a mountainside.



I thought this was just a random statement of encouragement (“WE CAN,” it says), but it turns out PODEMOS is a political party, one of many running in a huge upcoming election.

The blurry backseat of our van…coca leaves, bread, water, guitar.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home