Tuesday, July 04, 2006

PHOTOS: Wankane Pre-Solstice. 06/20/06


Riding on the top of the truck on our way out to the site. Holding on to handlebars, don’t worry.









The cows are frightened! They run.



For the Solstice, perhaps, which happens here tomorrow.






Showing our guests (other archaeologists/anthropologists visiting for the Solstice) the Tatakala.



Check out that detail….






All these excavated stones were part of a royal court that was here around 500 AD, 30 cm or so beneath the current ground level. That description is probably horribly wrong, but it’ll do for now.






The other archaeologists’ truck. They work on a peninsula somewhere not too far from here. Berkeley folks.



I don’t know.



Decapitated monoliths!



Talking about decapitated monoliths.



A nearby house/compound.



That’s paja, I think, the straw stuff that covers all the fields.









Somebody’s bike.






Another monolith that was lying down like the other one, but stood up by archaeologists in the forties, for better viewing.



A man falling to his death, and a serpent figure (bottom). I’m not sure what the significance of this is yet.















Tea time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home